Program Objectives (Engineering path)
The Specific Objectives of the Program are to:
- Obtain an in depth comprehension of existing Philosophies, Frameworks and Tools in Total Quality Management.
- Apply aforementioned Total Quality Management Philosophies and Frameworks to realistic Case-Studies
- Be able to apply Qualitative and Quantitative Tools for Quality Assurance
- Develop and use a significant range of principal and special skills, techniques and practices applied in current total quality management/ quality assurance operations.
- Develop an understanding of the wider context of management activities involved in the wider Production/ Operations area.
- Develop an understanding of the wider Supply Chain activities involved in Operations Management and how these affect the quality of products/ services offered.
- Be able to use appropriate tools/ techniques to ensure quality services/ products across the Supply Chain.
- Use appropriate tools and techniques in Product Design processes complying with the Six-Sigma framework and principles.
- Identify appropriate Standards, Certification Bodies and Labelling frameworks to promote and certify quality products and operations.
- Appreciate the economic, legal and environmental aspects of quality management/ quality assurance in operations activities.
- Communicate and work effectively with peers, academic staff and industry experts, demonstrating the appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility.
- Be able to apply the knowledge developed to organisations in Cyprus and the European Union.
- m) Plan and bring to successful completion significant projects of research, investigation or development in a specialised area within the field of quality management/ quality assurance in engineering, by demonstrating extensive, detailed and critical understanding of the subject(s) involved.
- Provide specialised knowledge required to join this challenging professional field.
- Provide graduate engineers with the ability to excel in a field of quality management/ quality assurance as this applies to engineering.
- Prepare career progression of engineering professionals within a Global Market.
Overall, the objectives of the Program are to be re-examined in the light of technological changes, developments in the field of study, employability requirements and are redefined whenever and as necessary.
Program Objectives (Educational path)
The Specific Objectives of the Program are to:
- Provide students with the fundamental knowledge of current theory and practice across a range of quality assurance philosophies, policies and practices.
- Design, develop and implement quality assurance policies and process within an educational organisation.
- Acquire students with specific knowledge in regards to the certification bodies, the standards and the processes of labelling and auditing issues in the education sector.
- Become familiar with the structure and requirements of the quality assurance standards, guidelines and frameworks in different countries and from various international and national bodies and organisations.
- Design, develop and implement external and internal audits in order to comply with requirements according to quality assurance certifications.
- Design, develop, implement and monitor a quality assurance system in an educational institution and employ the appropriate techniques and tools to evaluate processes and ensure continuous improvement.
- Design, develop and implement educational technology standards for quality assurance purposes in an educational institution.
- Provide students with the knowledge and skills to become effective in planning, managing, controlling and evaluating quality in a distance learning program of formal or non-formal education.
- Plan and bring to successful contribution significant projects of research, investigation or development in a specialized area within the field of quality assurance in education, by demonstrate extensive, detailed, and critical understand of the subjects(s) involved.
- Equip students with the practical tools and techniques to promote their career goals in the public and private educational sectors reflecting on their experiences and expertise.
Offer students the possibility to interact and collaborate with their colleagues easily and efficiently, making innovative use of the latest technology, regardless of the physical distances between them.
Key Learning Outcomes (Engineering path)
Upon successful completion of this program, postgraduate students are expected to:
- Acquire skills and experiences necessary for engineers who will lead the fields of quality management/ quality assurance as this applies to engineering.
- Be able to develop Company re-structuring programs based on Total Quality Management Philosophies and Frameworks.
- Be able to develop qualitative and quantitative tools to analyse operational performance problems and identify their causes and effects.
- Become familiar with the philosophy and auditing procedures of Quality Certification Bodies and Standardisation Bodies.
- Use appropriate Research Methods to develop the necessary tools to further investigate arising issues in Quality Management/ Quality Assurance.
- Become familiar with the wider Supply Chain network of their organisations and identify improvements able to benefit the resulting product(s)/ service(s).
- Develop a keen understanding of modern design in manufacturing enterprises by using the Six-Sigma methodology.
- Be equipped with the necessary knowledge and acumen to move into decision-making roles.
- Understand the organisational, institutional and entrepreneurial aspects of the industry.
- Be able to use effectively state-of-the-art software tools for advanced quality assurance as this applies to engineering.
- Be able to develop quality improvement instruments and gather/ administer required information.
- Be capable of exploiting research results in quality management/ quality assurance, within their professional environments and in society.
Key Learning Outcomes (Educational path)
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Acquire and apply knowledge in quality assurance and total quality management policies and process.
- Identify opportunities for improvements based on educational organisation’s management system based on total quality management philosophies and frameworks.
- Apply appropriate methods and tools to engage educational organisation’s human resources in quality assurance and total quality management initiatives.
- Engage educational organisation’s information system in quality assurance and total quality management.
- Design, develop and implement research studies related to quality assurance and total quality management.
- Apply the appropriate research methods and tools in research related to quality assurance and total quality management issues.
- Comprehend and describe standards, guidelines and frameworks related to quality assurance and total quality management.
- Become familiar with national and international quality assurance agencies.
- Develop knowledge and skills in relation to educational technology standards and tools in quality assurance and total quality management.
- Effectively use new technologies in quality assurance decision-making that reflect the way educational organisations operate globally nowadays.
- Apply the quality assurance policies and procedures in distance learning programmes of study.
Delivery and Duration
The duration of the program for both the conventional and distance-learning modes of delivery is the same, namely:
- Full-time study: three academic semesters (18 months)
- Part-time study: six academic semesters (36 months)
In case the students fail on a course or for any other reason cannot complete their studies in the expected time scale, the duration of the studies can be extended. The extension time will be determined according to the Internal Regulation of Frederick University, concerning Students’ Graduation, which defines that the maximum duration of studies for full time mode is 6 semesters and for part time mode 12 semesters.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates (Engineering path)
Most of expected students in the Distance Learning “Masters’ program in Quality Assurance in Engineering” are to be: (a) working professionals in engineering companies, (b) entrepreneurs seeking to setup or improve their organisations, and (c) unemployed professionals seeking to improve their skills. Within this context, our expected graduates will:
- Be able to utilise effectively the latest insights into how to apply quality management/ quality assurance principles in engineering organisational settings.
- Develop skills required to innovate, manage and lead
- Develop skills that are as useful to an individual in an organization as to a quality manager.
Occupational Profiles of the Graduates (Educational path)
The current program of study has been developed based on the 21st century demands and requirements for the education sector. Specifically, there is a strong interest regarding quality assurance and the development of specific standards and processes to be followed by educational institutions around the globe and specifically at the European level. Having in mind the above, the program addresses mainly to educators (primary, secondary and higher level) that hold managerial positions, to Ministry of Education employees as well as to employees of other educational organizations. The graduates of the MSc in Quality Assurance in Education will be able to develop policies and adopt quality assurance and total quality management principles, tools and techniques to improve the services provided at an educational institution. Finally, they will be able to design, innovate, manage and lead the quality assurance and total quality management processes in an educational organization.