Our ICT in ESD Philosophy
The MSc. on “ICT in Education for Sustainable Development” is an interdisciplinary program that focuses on developing competence and skill on Education for Sustainable Development enabled byICTs delivered through distance learning.
- The course curriculum is driven by a learning paradigm that merges three theories of learning, namely: experiential learning, constructivist learning and transformative learning.
- Students have access to and a complete understanding of a vast array of virtual collaboration tools and related resources geared towards student-generated questions that drive the content, processes and methods embedded in the learning experience.
- The program reflects the realities of the global/local environments and provides foundational courses together with highly specialized modules in the area of ICT-enabling education for sustainable development.
- Activities are designed to meet students’ various learning styles and encourage them to experience personal change towards learning to live together sustainably.
- Students are engaged in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using the available digital and sustainable development resources.
- The flexible structure of our MSc. course delivered through a friendly online platform means that existing job or family commitments need not stop you from preparing for either a new career, upgrading your already work and/or aspire for further studies at the Ph.D. level.
- You will be challenged by a study program, taught by acclaimed academics and professional experts, and learn from your global fellow students – a truly international group – through teamwork, innovative technologies and supportive environment.
The program aims to:
- Use problem-based learning and service learning as methodologies for integrating sustainability issues in formal and non-formal education environments.
- Enhance knowledge for informed decision and policy-making on education for sustainable development issues.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the relationship between education policy and planning in the field of ESD; the institutional structures needed to support ESD policies; and the role of various actors and entities in shaping educational policy and change for sustainability.
- Enhance critical, analytical and integrative skills for developing ICT-enabled ESD curricula and training programmes.
- Produce professional experts on ICT-enabled ESD having the capacity to become reflective practitioners and agents of change, locally as well as globally.
- Offer a virtual learning environment supported by critical pedagogies in contextualising sustainability issues with innovative use of ICTs as means, as resources and as enabling transformative tools.
Key Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, you should be able to:
- Critically examine current trends in sustainable development and relate these to systems thinking and transformational change.
- Develop inter-disciplinary and cross-curricular thematic lessons plans integrating ICT and sustainable development issues.
- Critically examine dominant systems and paradigms as well as analyze complex sustainability issues, locally and globally.
- Deconstruct and reconstruct the conventional discourse of research methodology; embracing principles of empowerment, change agency, active participation and reflection in the research process.
- Explore how people culturally conceptualize, manipulate, transform and humanize their natural environments over time.
- Reflect critically on one’s own theories, values, beliefs, learning, practice and professional development.
- Develop ICT-enabled instructional materials and programmes which will foster the formation of positive values, attitudes and ethical behaviour towards sustainable human development.
- Formulate critical reflective questions; clarify values; envision more positive futures; think systemically; and explore the dialectic between tradition and innovation.
- Design interactive, engaged and immersive learning activities addressing ESD issues enabled by ICTs.
- Design and develop participatory video clips that raise awareness and advocacy for sustainability amongst participants and community members by applying transformative pedagogy, critical action research and appropriate technologies.
- Explore and gain understanding of cultural self-awareness, other culture awareness, and the interactive dynamics between the two in the context of sustainable leadership.
- Design and apply innovative approaches to teaching and learning for sustainability enabled through ICTs.
Delivery and Duration
- The program is delivered online and is based on the ECTS credit accumulation mode of study. Upon completion of 60 ECTS in courses and writing a thesis of 30 ECTS weight, the MSc Degree on ICT in Education for Sustainable Development will be awarded.
- The duration of the program lasts one and a half academic years (i.e. 3 semesters) for full time study or four academic years (i.e. 6 semesters) for part time study students.
- Program content is delivered by experienced international and in-house faculty through the University’s e-learning platform.
- The language of Instruction is English.
This MSc program is open to qualified graduates from recognised higher education institutions from around the world who wish to develop knowledge, skills and capacities for infusing ESD enabled through ICTs, in various working areas. The student cohort is drawn primarily from the academic disciplines of education and sciences, but also graduates from any other discipline who may wish to consider a career in the field of ESD enabled through ICTs, or those who may consider undertaking future studies at Ph.D. level are eligible to apply. It is also addressed to professionals coming from public and private sectors, civic societies and NGOs who are dealing with environmental, social, economic and cultural issues.
This is the ideal program for you if:
You want to build knowledge, skills and attributes that empower you to act as change agent in global, national and local sustainable development processes.
You want to invest on your professional development and widen your career paths, while studying at your pace, time and place.
You are a highly motivated person, ambitious, with good academic performance who wants to be at the forefront of one of tomorrow’s leading academic and professional field.
Graduates of the program can follow careers in:
Teaching across all education levels formal non-formal and informal.
Government ministries and other public sector organisations dealing with ESD policy, sustainable development and environmental issues.
International organizations dealing with ESD, ESD policies and sustainable development issues,
International and national non-governmental (NGOs) organizations and enterprises dealing with sustainable development and environmental Issues.
Consultancies and development projects for environmental and sustainable development issues
Applied research on sustainable development and environmental issues
The program requires the completion of 60 ECTS for course work and the writing of a thesis equivalent to 30 ECTS. The credits are allocated to six compulsory and elective courses equivalent to 15 ECTS, that can be chosen out of six as shown in the tables below. The program can be taken either full-time for 18 months or part-time for 36 months.
You must successfully complete 60 ECTS from the following list:
|1||ICTESD501||SUSTAINABILITY THEORY, SYSTEMS THINKING AND TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE||10|
|2||ICTESD502||APPROACHES TO EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
|3||ICTESD503||ESD PEDAGOGY AND ICT||10|
|4||ICTESD504||APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY, ACTIVE CITIZENSHIP AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||10|
|5||ICTESD505||ACTION RESEARCH AND PARTICIPATORY ACTION RESEARCH FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
|6||ICTESD506||ICT, INSTRUCTIONAL/LEARNING DESIGN AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
You must successfully complete 30 ECTS from the following list:
|1||ICTESD507||EDUCATIONAL POLICY AND PLANNING FOR SUSTAINABLE SCHOOLING||10|
|2||ICTESD508||ICT, CLIMATE CHANGE AND GEO-SPATIAL TOOLS||10|
|3||ICTESD509||BIO-CULTURAL DIVERSITY AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||10|
|4||ICTESD510||E-LEARNING, VIRTUAL WORLDS AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
|5||ICTESD511||TEACHING TO LIVE SUSTAINABLY THROUGH THE EARTH CHARTER||5|
|6||ICTESD512||INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION AND SUSTAINABLE LEADERSHIP||5|
You must successfully complete 30 ECTS from the following list:
|No.||Code||Name||ECTS||Hours / week|
Course Structure Diagram
|ICTESD501||SUSTAINABILITY THEORY, SYSTEMS THINKING AND TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE||10|
|ICTESD502||APPROACHES TO EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
|ICTESD503||ESD PEDAGOGY AND ICT||10|
|ICTESD505||ACTION RESEARCH AND PARTICIPATORY ACTION RESEARCH FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
|ICTESD504||APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY, ACTIVE CITIZENSHIP AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||10|
|ICTESD506||ICT, INSTRUCTIONAL/LEARNING DESIGN AND EDUCATION FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT||5|
Tuition fees at Frederick University are calculated according to the ECTS workload a student undertakes each semester. Due to the recent economic challenges faced in several countries in the region and elsewhere, the university decided to apply reductions in the program fees so as to support the student population. To this end, the tuition fees in effect for students registering in the academic year 2015-16 are 60.00 euro per ECTS credit. This means that the tuition fees cost for the overall program is 5,730 euro.
In addition to tuition fees, additional fees apply in order to support the administrative, library and technological infrastructure costs. All costs are summarized in the following table:
|Fee Type||Fee (Euro)||Notes|
||Tuition fees for the whole program
||Payable only once upon registration to the program|
|Semester Registration fee||
||Payable each semester the student registers|
A scholarship scheme is available for students achieving excellent academic performance and taking into account other socio-economic criteria.
|Εμμανουήλ Φυριππής||Καθηγητής||Παν. Αθηνών|
|Αθανάσιος Μοιχιώτης||Καθηγητής||Ελληνικό Ανοικτό Πανεπιστήμιο|
|Άννα Χατζηπαναγιωτίδη||Επ. Καθηγήτρια||Παν. Frederick|
|Ρίτα Παναούρα||Επ. Καθηγήτρια||Παν. Frederick|
|Στέλιος Ορφανός||Λέκτορας||Παν. Frederick|
|Σταύρος Γεωργιάδης||Λέκτορας||Παν. Frederick|
|Νίκλεια Ετεοκλέους||Λέκτορας||Παν. Frederick|
Academic requirement: Admission to the M.Sc. program requires students to have achieved a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree undertaken at an accredited institution, primarily in a discipline relevant to the program, which includes for example educational sciences, natural sciences social sciences and humanities. Also, it is open to any candidate whose academic studies, interests and work are related to education for sustainable development.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading
- The performance of students is judged through a wide range of assessment modalities such as exams, written work, e-portfolios, presentations, etc. The course grading will be based on the official scale (0-10). Students failing in one course (under grade 5) will be given a second chance for examination without repeating the course. If fail second time, in case of electives, they can choose another course.
- The Master’s thesis can only be undertaken when all necessary compulsory and elective courses have been successfully completed and when the Master’s thesis proposal has been approved by the supervising committee.
Students are eligible for graduation after successfully completing 90 ECTS credits: 60 ECTS credits in the courses listed in the Program Structure, with CGPA greater or equal to 5.00 out of 10.00 and 30 ECTS credits thesis that is to be successfully defended.
Access to Further Studies
The graduates of the Program have access to doctoral programmes (3rd Cycle) in relevant disciplines.
University of Stockholm, Sweden and is currently Professor of ICT in Education at the University of Crete, Dept. of Education and UNESCO Chairholder of ICT in ESD. He has led many national and international projects in the field of ICT in education and education for sustainable development funded by Japan Foundation, Canon Foundation, European Commission, General Research Secretariat of Greece, etc. He has been awarded various international distinctions, such as Japan Foundation Fellowship, Canon Foundation Professional Fellowship, UNESCO Chair on ICT in Education for Sustainable Development, International Award from United Nations University and an Award of Excellence in Tertiary Education from the Greek Ministry of Education. Professor Makrakis has also initiated the establishment of the RCE Crete (Regional Centre of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development), which has been acknowledged by the United Nations University. He has published various books and more than 250 publications in international journals, conference proceedings and international collective volumes.
The instructor team consists of esteemed scientists and academics from various universities who are specialists in the fields of ICT and ESD.